On Hands and Pursuing Your Gift

Over the past 6 months or so my hands have almost completely contracted into fists. I have limited movement in my two index fingers and a bit more in my thumbs and that’s it. I get along just fine, but from time to time I feel the loss of my ability to play the piano. Today I was a concert and I felt the twinge, just a seductive hint of self-pity. When I came home this video was in my email via Triumph of the Spirit.

I mean, do you think God is trying to tell me something? The joy and life in this woman is astounding for anyone, not just a person with disabilities. She embraces what she has, her gift, with gusto and joy. I loved playing the piano, truly, but I never had a gift for it. I am no musician, more like an amateur crafter filling a Saturday afternoon. I believe this video was sent to me to show me how to let go of suffering over my hands and embrace my gift. Each of us has a gift, perhaps not the one we would choose or perhaps we dislike the way it is given. But, wow, look what is possible if we embrace it.

“Come to the edge.”
“We can’t. We’re afraid.”
“Come to the edge.”
“We can’t. We will fall!”
“Come to the edge.”
And they came.
And he pushed them.

And they flew.
– Guillaume Apollinaire

The Healing Hand (c) Sybil Archibald

9 Responses “On Hands and Pursuing Your Gift”

1. Phil Bolsta says:

I’m glad you found this video so meaningful, Sybil. Thank you for linking back to my blog. I hope it touches others as it did you.

I would like to post your comments on my own blog. Since they are public and you disclose your name, I thought this would be okay with you. I believe that your heartfelt comments will help others.

In gratitude,

Phil Bolsta
    bolstablog.com
    Author of “Sixty Seconds: One Moment Changes Everything” (www.sixtysecondsbook.com)

2. Karin says:

wow, this is one powerful post! What an amazing story – when the music is within, it must be let loose, eh? I love love love that you got this today (and shared it!). I can so relate to you and your artwork here, too – having had 2 hand surgeries so far, and pretty constant pain in my hands, the *fear* of losing them washes through me at certain moments, because of my art, yet I know there will always be a way, as there always has been through all the transformations, we find a way to create our music.

3. Wow, I love the quote and your artwork and your wonderful post.

Yes, it seems we all have some fear or disability to overcome.

A feeling of tightness and contracting tendons is why I don’t draw anymore, so I know where you’re coming from.

I’m just now six years out from breast cancer. I have a good prognosis, but one is ALWAYS waiting for the other shoe to drop. I think that only art can keep me positive and tied to the bounty of life, instead of its desolation.

Thanks for a very inspiring post!

4. debraann says:

What a wonderful message and what a wonderful piece of artwork. I love it to pieces. One of my favorites. Thank you for being a gift. I never fail to learn something or to be inspired when I come to your lovely blog.

5. Jan says:

As all said above, everything is magnificent. This is quite thought provoking; I’ll be pondering this for awhile. The quote is going to be the meditation quote for a class I facilitate next week. Thank you.

6. Quiet says:

A wonderful post.

7. sueokieffe says:

this post and the quote is just perfect for me today too. i so believe we are led to or given just what is right for us to see or hear at any given time. thank you for being here.
    ~sueokieffe

8. Jan says:

That poem was such an aid to facilitate discussion in our Wisdom Class today. Thank you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. […] Sybil Archibald saw the video of four-fingered pianist Heeah Lee on this blog yesterday and immediately posted it on her own blog with the following comments: Over the past 6 months or so my hands have almost completely contracted into fists. I have limited movement in my two index fingers and a bit more in my thumbs and that’s it. I get along just fine, but from time to time I feel the loss of my ability to play the piano. Today I was a concert and I felt the twinge, just a seductive hint of self-pity. When I came home this video was in my email via Triumph of the Spirit. […]

Welcome!
Name and Mail are required
I look forward to reading your response...

To subscribe to comments on this post, check this box:

(If you would like to display your last blog post, select Commentluv above.)